J’aime Paris Fashion Week: Highlights From The City Of Light
Close the curtains, hand us a tissue, the spring 2013 shows are just about finito, finished, fini. We said, tissue please! If one with a penchant for candy has a sweet tooth, then our obsession with high fashion eye-candy has us seriously sugar high. However paralyzed with misery we may be, though, this means it’s time to look back upon our favourite guh-guh-gorgeous looks from the latest city — one of light and love, no less. Here are our picks for top looks from Paris Fashion Week (again– making us pick just five? Cruel and so unusual).
1. The Balenciaga opening look just confirmed to us that Nicolas Ghesquiere is truly a champion at playing to our dramatic, sexy alter egos. This can only be defined as fashion superhero-dom, and right down to the styling and ankle booties, is one of our favourite of all the black and white looks for spring.
2. Simons Says — and we’re all ears. (Raf Simons that is — in his highly awaited first RTW Dior collection). With Simons’ appreciation for the brand but solid, sharp sense of self, Raf impressed us with pieces like this one that spoke volumes about his new, newer, newest look. The hourglass is still there, but its subtlety is undeniable.
3. Givenchy‘s Riccardo Tisci gave us a collection to remember in all its controlled precision, and soft pallette. Sometimes combining touches of plexiglass and gold chokers with soft floating ruffles and shiny hardware, looks like these seemed aimed a futuristic, feminine and fully powerful woman — and who minds being all of that?
4. Though Chanel gave us the ethereal sophisticate like we’ve never seen, this look stood out as one of the more edgy, modern and cool incarnations of the men’s shirt-esque dress we’ve seen in a while. Oh, how we long to pair this with towering heels and a little tan next June for a cocktail with the girls.
5. Oh, Saint Laurent. Hedi Slimane’s highly anticipated entrance into previously known YSL territory came with praise and predicted criticism, but there’s no question the collection stood out. And it did so among other designers’ frothy white looks and billowing ruffles, through looks like this one. Wide brimmed fedoras, skinny pants and jackets no girl in 2013 will be able to avoid coveting made our hearts palpitate. We already imagine ourselves emulating the dark, dangerous prairie woman vibe in 2012! Bravo, Hedi.
Free to join! Get the hottest fashion, beauty and celebrity news, enter exclusive subscriber giveaways and be the first to receive the full digital version of REAL STYLE magazine every month.