What To Wear To European Hot Spots-Spotlight:Capri, Italy
Our much travelled editors and writers put together this fashion travelogue of what to wear to their favorite European summer destinations. Our first entry in this feature is dedicated to that storied playground of the rich and famous, actors and ancient Roman emperors alike – Capri, Italy.
Some of our favorite Capri daytime looks are: movie star large sunglasses, a teeny bikini, straw sun hat and a pretty cover up as one makes their way to the rock-encrusted beaches or yachts around the island. The Look would not be complete without handmade Capri sandals that the island is also known for. Not your usual flip flops, these handmade pieces are unique and often bejewelled. Of course the cutoff pants, Capris, were also named for the island and popularized by Jackie O. who wore them around the island in the ’60’s.
In the evening, the movie set Piazzetta in the middle of Capri town lends itself to glamorous yet relaxed fashions for visiting North Americans and Europeans alike . Men opt for white linen pants or shirts often accessorized with a cotton sweater tied around the shoulders ‘just so‘. The more fashionable ladies epitomize the look of understated elegance with casual but oh-so-chic little summer dresses and pretty wedges or heels. Clutches are the purse of choice and white is the predominant colour for clothing accented with hits of turquoise, pink, and yellow. Keep your jewelry well-edited with one or two chic pieces: a gorgeous cocktail ring, clutch, handmade necklace or unique brooch. Think Sophia Lauren is the 50’s. Speaking of Sophia, the movie star maintains a house in Capri to this day.
Photos via http://www.capritourism.com/en/index. Movie still photos via http://www.reelstreets.com/ from ‘It Started In Naples’ filmed in Capri starring Sophia Loren and Clarke Gable. Loving her dress in this movie still!
SHOP THE LOOK: click on links to go to store.
1. Bloomingdales, Anne Klein New York Printed Belted A-line Dress, $375.00. We liked this printed summer dress for it’s easy fit and a hint of retro style.
2. Piperlime.com, House of Harlow 1960 Sunglasses, $125.00 Feel like a movie star in these over-sized round shape sunglasses.
3. Nordstrom, Santi Rhinestone Frame Clutch, $268. This pretty clutch will pack all your necessities, as it’s soft leather expands on the inside.
4. My Theresa, Aurelie Biderman Fortalezza Shell Ring, $189. A pretty statement ring to set the mood for your gorgeous Amalfi coast surroundings.
5. Asos,Carvela Klip Jewelled Flat Sandal, $147. A nod to the handmade Capri sandals.
Free to join! Get the hottest fashion, beauty and celebrity news, enter exclusive subscriber giveaways and be the first to receive the full digital version of REAL STYLE magazine every month.