5 Celebs Who Have Been Bankrupt
While we’re used to hearing about the luxe lifestyles, endless wardrobes, and exotic vacation retreats of our favourite stars, even Hollywood’s finest sometimes hit rock bottom when it comes to finances. After all, money definitely doesn’t grow on trees! We’ve curated a round-up of a few famous faces who have dealt with bankruptcy before:
1) Teri Polo: According to People, the 44-year-old actress who is known for her role as Stef Foster on ABC Spark’s The Fosters has officially filed for bankruptcy. She apparently owes $772,000 in income taxes, not to mention a staggering $37,000 in credit card debts.
2) Lena Headey: British-raised brunette beauty Lena Headey is best known for playing Cersei on HBO’s hit Game of Thrones. While she may be taking over the small screen as Lord Tywin Lannister’s daughter, her savings account wasn’t in the greatest shape last year. TMZ reports that in April 2013, the 40-year-old actress claimed to have “less than $5 in her bank account” after her divorce from husband Peter Loughran. We’re sure that Lena, who has a young son with Loughran, must have felt the pinch- ouch!
3) Pamela Anderson: The 45-year-old blonde bombshell might have made waves as the busty star of Baywatch, but she could only swim away from her tax woes for so long. In 2011, the former Dancing with the Stars contestant faced over $370,000 for unpaid taxes. In 2010, she was also hit with another tax lien- this one for a terrifying $1.7 million!
4) Spencer Pratt and Heidi Montag: 27-year-old Heidi Montag and her hubby, 30-year-old Spencer Pratt, may have been enjoying the free-flowing cash during their days as stars on MTV reality show The Hills. However, the couple explained in an interview with InTouch that their insane spending habits eventually caught up to them. With thousands of dollars spent on bottles of wine, shopping sprees, and a lavish lifestyle, it’s no surprise that “Speidi” eventually breezed their way through $10 million!
5) Kim Basinger: The 60-year-old actress and mother of 18-year-old model Ireland Baldwin stars in the upcoming film I Am Here, which is out in theatres this September. She may be a timeless beauty who puts stars half her age to shame, but she has also faced her fair share of money troubles. In 1983, Kim Basinger bought a portion of a small Georgia town worth about $1 million. When the star owed a movie studio $8.1 million after leaving a movie suddenly, she quickly found herself bankrupt!
Free to join! Get the hottest fashion, beauty and celebrity news, enter exclusive subscriber giveaways and be the first to receive the full digital version of REAL STYLE magazine every month.