Natural and Organic Makeup Products For Earth Day
Photo: drhauschkausa on Instagram
With Earth Day upon us, it’s the perfect time to update your Spring 2015 beauty bag with organic and natural makeup essentials. For anyone who is hunting for au naturel lipstick enriched with plant extracts or mascara without the harsh chemicals, we’ve curated a guide to a few lip, eye and face products from leading natural and organic cosmetic brands.
1) Origins Flower Fusion Hydrating Lip Color in Azalea, $17: Not only is this pastel pink lipstick a gorgeous springtime shade, it’s also made with floral waxes from jasmine, lavender, rose, raspberry, violet and orange blossom. With paraben-free and scientifically proven natural products, Origins uses essential oils and pant-based, sustainable ingredients that are farmed organically (known as biodynamic agriculture). For anyone wondering what the “origins” of this cosmetics line are, the brand was launched in 1990 by Leonard Lauder, the son of beauty legend Estée Lauder.
2) Juice Beauty Lash Defining Mascara, $19: This black mascara is made with organic aloe leaf juice extract, moisturizing cocoa and avocado butters and vegetable glycerin to keep lashes conditioned. As a certified organic skin care, makeup and hair care brand, Juice Beauty gets its name from its use of juice bases in its products. From aloe to citrus, all of these juicy ingredients come from local USDA-approved organic farms in the United States. With the focus on sustainable and safe beauty, it’s no surprise that the brand has recently titled health-conscious actress Gwyneth Paltrow as its new creative director of makeup.
3) Suki Luscious Lips Berry Cream Trio, $32: This lip trio is boosted with omega fatty acids and omega oil from organic jojoba, Vitamin E and organic chamomile. The primer and the two shades (wineberry kiss and sugarberry pout) can be used for lips or cheeks. Founded in 2002, skincare and beauty line Suki offers products that are 100 per cent natural and 90 per cent organic. The brand also emphasizes eco-friendly packaging, with glass, vegetable inks and recycled cartons used to house the products.
4) Dr. Hauschka Skin Care Eyeshadow Palette, $45: While it may offer pretty neutral shades, this mineral eyeshadow palette is also made with antioxidant-rich silk powder, black tea extract to smooth skin in the eye area and floral extracts from two plants, anthyllis and witch hazel. Based on the scientific research of German chemist Rudolf Hauschka, the Dr. Hauschka skin care and makeup line was launched in 1967 by Austrian cosmetologist Elisabeth Sigmund. With a focus on sustainable and organic products, the brand uses biodynamic (or chemical-free) farming for its plant-based ingredients.
5) Jane Iredale Moonglow Golden Bronzer, $48: For natural beauty addicts who are looking for a spring glow, this vegan and gluten-free bronzer is made with pine bark extract and pomegranate extract. The four subtle shades in the quad can be combined for an overall bronzed look, or worn as eyeshadow and blush. Launched in 1994 by founder Jane Iredale, this natural mineral cosmetics line offers cruelty-free products that are made with plant-based ingredients and tested for allergens. The brand’s beauty buys are also all free of tiny substances known as nanoparticles, which can harm the skin if absorbed.
Free to join! Get the hottest fashion, beauty and celebrity news, enter exclusive subscriber giveaways and be the first to receive the full digital version of REAL STYLE magazine every month.