Low Calorie Holiday Snacks
Photo: Tundra Restaurant (@TundraTo) on Twitter
If you’re trying to keep up a balanced diet this winter, avoiding tempting holiday treats is always a challenge. Luckily, there are a few low-calorie appetizers that will also satisfy your guests’ festive cravings. Here are our suggestions for five health-smart snacks to serve at your holiday cocktail party this season.
1) Cranberries and roasted almonds: Not only are dried cranberries a top seasonal pick to add to stuffing or side dishes, these tiny berries also offer a health boost. Livestrong.com reports that dried cranberries are fat-free, packed with 3 grams of dietary fibre per serving and only contain 130 calories per serving. Almonds are also loaded with heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, antioxidant-enriched Vitamin E and the essential nutrients of magnesium and potassium.
2) Strawberries dipped in dark chocolate: Antioxidant-enriched juicy strawberries contain phytonutrients, natural chemicals which can boost the immune system. The fruity delights are also high in carbohydrates, and are low in calories as a result. Unlike its naughty cousin milk chocolate, nutritious dark chocolate is known to lower blood pressure. According to caloriessecrets.net, two squares of this treat contain anywhere from just 30-80 calories.
3) Mini vanilla Greek yogurt parfait cups: If you’re craving a giant sundae with all the fixings over the holidays, stick with vanilla Greek yogurt instead. While this creamy dairy treat contains a high amount of protein, it thankfully avoids the overwhelming amount of fat and the extra calories of ice cream. Serve Greek yogurt in tiny mason jars, decorated with berries, nuts or granola. For a holiday-ready touch, add crushed peppermint candy.
4) Whole wheat pita triangles with hummus: Take a break from garlic bread and rolls soaked in butter, and try a platter of whole wheat pita triangles. As opposed to creamy seasonal dips, the chickpea-infused goodness of hummus may be a great idea. Fatsecret.com reports that one tablespoon of hummus contains only 27 calories.
5) Goat cheese with a touch of honey: While blue cheese, brie and cheddar contain a whopping amount of calories, goat cheese with a touch of honey provides the dairy without the weight gain. Livestrong.com reports that goat cheese, which is low in cholesterol and saturated fats, typically only contains about 70 calories for a 1-ounce serving.
Free to join! Get the hottest fashion, beauty and celebrity news, enter exclusive subscriber giveaways and be the first to receive the full digital version of REAL STYLE magazine every month.