Top Summer Beauty Mistakes To Avoid
It’s finally June- warmer days, longer nights, and bigger smiles can only be around the corner from here on in. Before you get ready for that weekend road trip to the cottage though, have a look at your cosmetic bag. Are you prepared for the great outdoors, beauty-wise? Summer comes with its own set of beauty guidelines for keeping hair and skin healthy and nourished. Here’s our list of tips for avoiding classic summertime beauty mistakes:
1) Excessive makeup at the beach: Everyone loves a killer red lip, brightly coloured eyeshadow and bold lashes on the runway. On the beach however, simplicity is key. You’ll find yourself surrounded by the elements (and maybe a few prankster friends who have remained kids at heart and want to splash you when you least suspect it!) Try a gorgeous no-makeup look for a day of surf and sand, and go for a natural finish concealer paired with a pale pink lip instead.
2) Skimping on the sunscreen: Many of us fail to reapply sunscreen for an average weekday at the office or running errands, and manage to keep up the same mistakes even while enjoying a barbecue or picnic in the sun. Make sure you’re using a sunscreen with an SPF of anywhere from 15 to 30 (any more than that can have adverse effects) and reapply every couple of hours, especially if you’ll be swimming.
Related: Sunscreen 101
3) Orange complexions: Nobody wants to look like a pumpkin at any time of year (well, except possibly Halloween), but the warmer months bring with them the usual beauty sin of fake tans, excessive self-tanner, and unhealthy orange skin tones. Avoid this look by sticking to a warm yet natural glow if you do decide to use bronzer.
Related: Faux-Tanning Tips From A Pro
4) Neglecting your hair: This is the season for frizzy ends and chlorine-damaged tangles, after all! Keep your hair in top shape with a good quality hair serum, like Ojon Damage Reverse Instant Restorative Hair Serum (available at Sephora).
5) Mascara drama: Many types of mascara aren’t waterproof or smudge-proof, which leads to plenty of smearing and unsightly dark lines during the warmer days. Try a great product like Diorshow Waterproof Mascara (available at Sephora) to keep your lashes intact and your eyes looking great all day- even with the extra sweat and oily skin that often mean summer for many of us. Enjoy the sun!
Free to join! Get the hottest fashion, beauty and celebrity news, enter exclusive subscriber giveaways and be the first to receive the full digital version of REAL STYLE magazine every month.