With June’s arrival, it only seems natural to start piling on the sunblock to keep yourself protected against harmful UV rays. However, there are a few things to keep in mind about sunscreen itself before your next weekend trip to the beach. Here are some tips for keeping your delicate skin protected from the sun this summer:
1) Don’t be fooled by a high SPF: While many sunbathers mistakenly believe that a higher SPF number (sun protection factor) is equivalent to increased coverage and more hours in the sun, this isn’t necessarily true. In fact, experts recommend using a lotion with a sun protection factor of anywhere from 15 to 30 (with SPF 30 being ideal if you plan on spending the day outdoors).
2) Avoid toxic ingredients: With the lotion repeatedly being applied to sensitive areas such as the face, you want to stay away from harsh (yet unfortunately common) chemical components in sunscreens like oxybenzone and octinoxate. According to Environmental Working Group, these high-toxicity ingredients are found in most sunscreens and can potentially lead to irritated skin and hormonal disturbances.
3) Look for broad spectrum on the label: Your goal is to keep your skin protected against both types of harmful ultraviolet rays- which means UVA along with UVB. Broad spectrum sunscreen is always recommended by dermatologists for maximum skin coverage.
4) Reapply regularly: Many of us make the mistake of applying sunscreen at the beginning of a sunny day and forgetting to apply it throughout the afternoon. Don’t become a victim of the sun- bring your sunscreen with you, and apply it evenly every two hours.
5) Apply correctly: Make sure you apply your sunscreen everywhere, as a thick even layer as opposed to thin streaks and plenty of missed spots. It’s essential to keep the skin on your face and neck protected along with your arms and legs. If you are using a spray, it’s a wise idea to apply a second coat, since it’s always better to be safe than sorry. Enjoy the sun!
Related: How to Tan Safely On Vacation
Free to join! Get the hottest fashion, beauty and celebrity news, enter exclusive subscriber giveaways and be the first to receive the full digital version of REAL STYLE magazine every month.