5 Steps To Prepare Your Skin For Winter
It might not be the season of snowflakes, holiday parties and steaming mugs of hot chocolate just yet, but with Halloween spirit in the air, another Canadian winter isn’t too far away from thought. The colder months usually result in dry skin from the use of hot water and constant exposure to wind, along with cracked lips and fragile fingernails! To avoid the weather wreaking havoc on your delicate skin, here are some helpful tips for fall skin care to leave you feeling and looking your best in the months ahead.
1. Exfoliate regularly: In the simplest terms, exfoliation refers to allowing new skin to shine through and give you a beautiful glow. Exfoliating helps clean dead skin skills, which becomes necessary in fall and winter with frost and chill as soon as you leave your front door. If you have a naturally dry skin texture, it’s best to exfoliate no more than once a week (a couple times a week is ideal for oily skin textures). Try a water-based product like Clinique Exfoliating Scrub.
2. Moisturize all over: Keep thirsty winter skin satisfied with an effective cream to combat dryness or flakiness. Try La Roche-Posay Nutritic Dry Skin Ultra, which have been recommended by experts for sensitive skin and have a loyal fan following. For ladies who like their scents, The Body Shop has a great line of body butters in amazing scents like Mango, Cocount, and Moringa flower (with skin-friendly ingredients like jojoba oil and shea butter).
3. Stay hydrated: This is a way to kill two birds with one stone. Combat cough and flu season while maintaining a gorgeous glow! Having enough fluids (water and herbal tea are both nourishing ways) helps winterize your skin, and keeps you healthy.
4. Fight chapped lips: Nothing is a more obvious signal of autumn than the emergence of flaking lipstick, dry smiles, and a sudden rush to the drugstore for a lip balm which lives up to its name. Keep applying reputable lip care products (such as Burt’s Bees or Body Shop’s Born Lippy) frequently especially if you spend a lot of time outdoors. Lip colour tends to look awful over weather lips, so be sure to apply a colour-free balm before your coloured gloss of choice.
5. Don’t forget your nails: With winter comes cracked cuticles, and that same French manicure which would have looked clear and glossy in the summer is now not such a pretty sight. The change in seasons makes it harder to keep up with nail care, but fear not — a polished finish is always possible! Try the ObeyYourBody (www.obeyyourbody.com) product range for an at-home manicure and nail treatment. The Dead Sea Nail Manicure Kit (which consists of mineral ingredients) will leave your hands soft, smooth and prepared for the coldest days ahead!
Related Link: 3 Easy Steps To Get Pretty Feet
Photo Courtesy of: The Body Shop
Free to join! Get the hottest fashion, beauty and celebrity news, enter exclusive subscriber giveaways and be the first to receive the full digital version of REAL STYLE magazine every month.