How to Apply Sunless Tanner Like a Pro
With all of what we know these days about the sun and its damaging effects, sitting outside without sunscreen (or worse, faking and baking in a tanning booth) is a big no-no. Although the safety surrounding indoor spray tan booths is still out for debate, apply sunless tanner is still a great way to get a gorgeous faux glow. Scared your going to turn orange, get ugly streaks or have uneven colour? Read on to find out how to apply sunless tanner like a pro.
1. Exfoliate Skin. Make sure your body is silky smooth before applying any self-tanner. This will remove any dry skin and allow for an even coverage of product.
2. Moisturize Dry Spots. Any dry areas on your body will immediately absorb the tanning product and appear much darker than the rest of your skin, so be sure to moisturize these areas (like the elbows, knees, hands and feet) first. For the rest of your body skip the moisturizer, as the self tanner needs skin that’s product-free.
3. Find the Right Product. There are tons of self-tanners on the market, from mousse to gels and lotions. The easiest to use is a lotion since it doesn’t dry quickly (like mousse) and isn’t tricky to control product (like a spray). Plus because lotions aborb into the skin better, your tan will last longer.
4. Over-Apply. According to the experts at St. Tropez, it’s better to use more product than not enough, as that’s what usually causes patches, so make sure you use enough product all over your body.
5. Moisturize Edges. Once your done applying self-tanner all over your body, use a moisturizer on any areas your did not apply self-tanner and gently rub into the self-tanned areas to avoid distinct lines.
6. Wait to Dry. Before you hop into your clothes, make sure you’re fully dry. While many products suggest 20 minutes, that is really the bare minimum. Not only do you want your clothes to get stained, but you don’t want all of your hard work to be ruined!
7. Maintain It. The best way to maintain your faux glow is with gentle daily exfoliation, followed with moisturizer.
[Photo courtesy iStock]
Free to join! Get the hottest fashion, beauty and celebrity news, enter exclusive subscriber giveaways and be the first to receive the full digital version of REAL STYLE magazine every month.