We’re waiting for spring, but forecasting fall with our round-up of the biggest, boldest and most beautiful trends in fashion from all the fall shows. From New York to Paris, these are the top 5 editor’s picks for next season’s trends to watch—and wear!
1. Loud Outerwear. The volume on coats has been turned way, way up for fall. That means bold, big silhouettes, out-there prints, textures and hues, and a statement quite unlike we’ve seen from outerwear in a number of seasons. Rochas, Chanel, Gareth Pugh and many more were on board.
2. Plaid Play. The new take on plaid will range next fall from grunge, to country proper, to checked and playful. At Givenchy, quite unlike other collections, Ricardo Tisci blended plaid with leather, florals and competing prints for a full-on fantastical tartan tour.
3. Oversized Shapes. Everything’s bigger in Paris! And New York, Milan and London apparently. The oversized, loose feeling stayed with us through the global fashion weeks, and with looks like this one from Chanel, we may see a future for a more flattering take on oversized. Paired right, this could be huge. Pun intended.
4. B&W Seperates. Rather remarkably, black and white may have made an even bigger impact for fall than it did this spring. We’ll have to wait and see, but the up-and-coming black and white feature—as at Viktor & Rolf—is all about pairing black bottoms with a white top or outerwear. We’re in love.
5. Leather Tops. From Fendi to Calvin Klein, leather has truly become as commonplace for tops as the classic white poplin. For fall, we’ll see it in monochromatic looks with less overt fabrics on the bottom, or in lush shades of camel and, of course, inky, wet black.