We take the protection of your privacy seriously, and we comply with the Canadian federal privacy legislation known as the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (“Act”) and the corresponding Canadian Standards Association National Standard Model Code for the Protection of Personal Information.
What Personal Information do we collect?
Canadian privacy legislation defines Personal Information broadly as information about “an identifiable individual” or as information that allows an individual to be identified. The types of Personal Information that we may collect from you from time to time include: your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, and birth date. In addition, from time to time, we may ask you to provide us with more detailed information regarding your interests, occupation, and background. For example, we sometimes ask our subscribers to complete surveys in order to get a better sense of who they are and what topics may be of interest to them. Finally, from time to time, we may acquire demographic and other information about you (e.g. your occupation and interests) in order to serve you better.
Why do we collect your Personal Information?
We collect your Personal Information to provide you with helpful, relevant information through our sites and e-mails.
In addition, from time to time, we may use your Personal Information for the following purposes:
- to understand your needs and preferences, including to contact and communicate with you and to conduct surveys, research and evaluations;
- to administer contests run on our sites;
- to manage and develop RSN’s business and operations;
- to meet legal and regulatory requirements;
- to engage in business transactions, including the purchase, sale, lease, merger, amalgamation or any other type of acquisition, disposal, securitization or financing involving RSN;
- any other purpose we may indicate to you from time to time.
- We may receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with us. RSN may automatically receive and record certain “traffic data” on our server logs from your browser including your IP address, RSN cookie information, the page you requested, and your communications and interaction with our other website registrants. RSN uses this traffic data to, among other things, help diagnose problems with its server, analyze trends and administer our websites.
- Generally, our service may automatically collect usage information, such as the numbers and frequency of visitors to our websites and its components. This data is only used in the aggregate, that is, as a statistical measure, and not in a manner that would identify you personally. This type of collective data enables us to figure out how often users use parts of our website, so we can make our website appealing to as many users as possible. In addition, we may provide statistical information to our partners about how our users, collectively, use our website. We share this type of statistical data so that our partners also understand how often people use their areas and our website, so that they, too, may provide you with an optimal Web experience. We also collect and use information for internal purposes. For example, if you are a registered user of the RSN email and/or subscription based services, we may keep records in your account history of your complaints about other registered users online behaviour, and any reported violation of our Conditions of Use that you or someone on your account may have committed.
What about Cookies?
- Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we may transfer to your computer’s hard drive through your Web browser to enable our systems to recognize your browser and tell us how and when pages in our website are visited and by how many people. RSN cookies do not collect Personal Information, and we do not combine information collected through cookies with other Personal Information to tell us who you are or what your screen name or email address is.
- The “help” portion of the toolbar on the majority of browsers will direct you on how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to command the browser to tell you when you receive a new cookie, or how to fully disable cookies.
To whom do we disclose your Personal Information?
RSN may disclose your Personal Information to organizations hired to perform services on our behalf. Personal Information will only be provided to organizations providing services to RSN if they agree to use such information solely for the purposes of providing services to RSN, under the instruction of RSN and to act in a manner consistent with this Policy. RSN does not sell or rent your Personal Information to any person or organization. We disclose only as much of the Personal Information as is required by these agents to perform the task they have been retained to perform. Please note that we will release Personal Information if in our opinion we are required to do so pursuant to law (including the Act), or by a search warrant, subpoena, court order or other legal process.
Personal Information is processed and stored in secure and confidential databases in Toronto, Ontario. We do have physical measures, organizational measures and technological measures in place to ensure protection of your Personal Information.
Personal Information is considered an asset; if our business is transferred to a new owner, Personal Information will be given to and considered an asset of the new owner.
Third Party Websites RSN services may permit you to link to other websites on the Internet, and other websites may contain links to the RSN website. These other websites are not under RSN control, and such links do not constitute an endorsement by RSN of those other websites or the services offered through them. The privacy and security practices of websites linked to or from the RSN website are not covered by this Policy, and RSN is not responsible for the privacy or security practices or the content of such websites.
We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.
Access to Personal Information
You may request access to the Personal Information we have on record in order to review and amend the information as appropriate. to access your Personal Information, refer to the contact us section below.
The Security of Your Personal Information
We take steps to safeguard your Personal Information, regardless of the format in which it is held, including:
- physical security measures such as restricted access facilities and locked filing cabinets,
- electronic security measures for computerized Personal Information such as password protection, database encryption and personal identification numbers,
- organizational processes such as limiting access to your Personal Information to a selected group of individuals,
RSN reserves the right to be update, modify, or supplement this Policy from time to time.
If you have any questions about this Policy or to report any violations of the Policy. Please contact RSN’s privacy officer at:
Real Style Network Inc., Privacy Division
2345 Yonge Street, Ste. 808
Toronto, Ontario, M4P 2E5
For more information about your personal privacy rights contact the Privacy Commissioner of Canada at www.privcom.gc.ca or 1-800-282-1376.