How To Pick Your Perfect Winter Coat
Time to get your coat (and coat shopping) on. Boots, check. Knits, check. Statement necklaces, bordeaux, leather and peplum, check, check and check. Your fall wardrobe is solid- but you’re going to freeze without something on top of it all. Like it or not, baby it’s cold outside (at least in our neck of the woods). That’s why we were prompted to create this easy list of how-tos for shopping for the ideal winter coat that combines fashion, a flattering cut, and functional warmth. Those three F’s are just the beginning- so read on for the must-know tips to your best coat yet.
1. Invest in quality. If there is one piece you are going to save up for, it should be a well-made coat. This doesn’t always mean breaking the bank though. Check out online outlets for some of last year’s style or sales on high end garments you’ll never tire of.
2. Opt For Subtle Details. Even though we’re on board with a classic, somewhat timeless style since anything too trendy will end up in the giveaway bin next fall, we are also proponents of showing you’re fashion forward with your coat. Add fashion through slight details, like a wide collar, fur accents, leather touches or a subtle ruffle on the sleeve or hem.
3. Match Silhouette To Body Shape. Trendy silhouettes like retro cocoon or cape coats are gorgeous and we admit to wanting to try one this season, but the added volume simply doesn’t flatter all body types. If you’re tall and slender, these coats will work, but a belted, mid-thigh length, tailored trench-style emphasizes the smallest part of the waist and will make any figure look even lovelier.
4. Consider Your Wardrobe. If you are most often going to be sporting your new coat atop pencil skirts and polished workwear with heels, you won’t want anything too casual. A hood or any quilting probably isn’t the best bet, nor is a short style as they don’t work well with skirts or dresses. On the other hand, if you’ll be throwing this topper over your gym gear to head to yoga or to walk the pup, give some serious thought to a modern down puffer coat with a removable hood and belted or nipped-in waist.
5. Have Some Fun. Why not stand out in the dreary season with a bold, attention grabbing coat? You’re no longer forced by your parents to choose the coat with the most zip pockets and five waterproof layers, so play with colour! A sophisticated wool coat in an unexpected jewel tone, cream or winter white, or a primary colour has always been one of the best ways to remain feminine and fun in the chilly season. Bundle up, beautiful. Brrr!
Free to join! Get the hottest fashion, beauty and celebrity news, enter exclusive subscriber giveaways and be the first to receive the full digital version of REAL STYLE magazine every month.