Look Taller In These 5 Essential Fashion Pieces
We have put together a list of fashion tips for wearing 5 essential pieces to look taller this season.
Long And Short Of it
Vertically challenged — ah, what a nice way of saying your modelling career is not likely to happen in this lifetime. You’re likely not as short as you may think, as the average Canadian woman is just over 5 foot 3! Nevertheless, we’re bombarded with media images of Amazonian women with long, lean bodies and fashion doesn’t do much for our short little egos.
That’s A Stretch
Although we say embrace your height and frame at any healthy size and shape, sometimes the last thing you want is for your clothes to make you appear stout. Recently we gave you tips to look your thinnest. Now, we’ve rounded up the five pieces that promise to make you look taller, longer, and more model-esque.
1. Nude heels. Of course, the higher the heel the better with any shoe, to actually add height. But to further lengthen those legs, choose pointy-toe pumps in a shade close to your skin (like these by Boutique 9) to trick the eye into thinking your legs never end.
2. Long Lean Pants. NO cropped trousers or capris if you’re hoping for height. Choose a mid-to-high rise, super-skinny pant like these by Canadian designer Todd Lynn, and avoid tailoring them to your height as the extra length just adds inches to your legs.
3. Vertical Stripes. The models in Marc Jacobs’ spring show looked even taller in his vertical striped looks that caused a stir during fashion week. Whether you opt for pants, a jacket, dress, skirt or top with vertical stripes, this look is a guaranteed height enhancer.
4. One-Piece Or Monochromatic. A one-piece pants jumpsuit like this ALC one will create one long line of colour (it need not be black, though the dark hues do add even more height). If you’re not a jumpsuit fan, choose a monochromatic, head-to-toe look in one shade to extend your frame.
5. Fitted Pencil Dress. A fitted dress with a calf-length hem and slim pencil silhouette is key to looking both thinner and taller. Stars like Sofia Vergara use this trick and it works wonders for girls with curves, short torsos, or short legs (or all three!) The length won’t cut off your body choppily, creating a lean and fluid line. Finally, and without sounding too mom-like…Stand up straight!
Shop The Look: A.L.C. Open-back Crepe Jumpsuit, $250, The Outnet
Shop The Look: Raquel Allegra Tie Dye Dress, $300, Farfetch
Shop The Look: Todd Lynn Herault Wool-blend Crepe Skinny Pants, $228, The Outnet
Shop The Look: Boutique 9 Justine Pointy Pumps, $137, Macy’s
Shop The Look: Beatrice Di Bornone Vintage Striped Coat, $194, Farfetch