So this was the year you weren’t going to make a fuss over the last day of the calendar year, eh? You told your friends you didn’t want to spend money, have high expectations, or end up in a crowded bar in one of 458 identical gold sequin dresses. But suddenly, the eve of 2013 is upon us and let us guess — your pj’s and hors d’oeuvres plan just isn’t cutting it. You’ve got the itch to go celebrate all the good times and wash away the bad memories of 2012, and you’ve got it bad.
You’ve found a group to tag along with or a party to “pop by” at, now you just need to find something to wear! Our last minute New Year’s Eve look is simple to create at home with pieces in your wardrobe, while the voluminous Victoria’s Secret locks and glowing makeup are up to you. Best of all? You’ll stand out from the crowd as the clock strikes 2013.
1. A white tee. That’s right- this look is all about effortless glam and it starts with your favourite white t-shirt. Put on your I-feel-hot bra, and some bronze shimmer on collarbone and arms, and slip on that old faithful from H&M ($6).
2. Statement miniskirt. Find the most unique, glam mini you own and slide that baby on. Whether it’s sequin (like our Allsaints Voltaire Skirt for $192) from last spring’s Vegas jaunt, an on-trend leather mini, or summer’s bright floral print, you’ve got it in the bag in a sexy skirt with fun details.
3. The necklace of all necklaces. If you’re following fashion at all, you know the must-have accessory right now is the bold bib necklace like this Statements one (Nordstrom, $20). Pick your biggest, sparkliest one or if that fails, pile on layers of beads (not the mardi gras kind) or chains for a similar feel.
4. Extra sparkle. Find all (okay, most) of the glittery accessories in your possession and don’t be afraid to deck yourself in shine. It’s the one night of the year when it’s blinding-or-bust in glitter terms. A sparkly pastel clutch from Arden B, studded cuff, beaded bolero? Perfect.
5. Glam sandals. Or glam-dals, as we’ll now dub them, have a home in almost every girl’s closet. Maybe they were your prom shoes 9 years ago, big deal. It’s New Year’s Eve and you’ve got last minute places to go. Slippers, my dear, just won’t cut it. Throw these River Island Sandals (Asos, $67) on, call a cab, and go get your Auld Lang Syne on.