Fashion weeks in New York, London, Milan and Paris made up the intoxicatingly fashionable month of September and into October, and now that the dust has settled and we have spent some time perusing the collections we have seen looks we loved, would love to wear, and were genuinely surprised by. These five looks were some of the strongest in the way they stood apart from the rest and truly made us wish we’d thought them up. Amidst graphic black and white looks, leather, brights, sheer and more, these looks were innovative- and innovation is the stuff high fashion is made of.
1. Altuzarra‘s standout pieces in dusky, dusty hues, with their denim roughness meets sweetness, were unique and earthy while still sharp. When it’s something you’ve never seen before, it’s difficult to forget.
2. Balenciaga may have given ruffles the reputation boost they needed, and black and white was given a spin unlike any other collection. (And there were many). We don’t know what futuristic flamenco dancer look has ever been this…dare we say, wearable? There is something so desirable about the entire look.
3. Bottega Veneta’s long line of deliciously special dresses were like attic treasures worth their weight in polished gold. Each crafted so beautifully, and with none of the sleek sportiness we saw so much of, dresses like this one from the designer made us hear birds chirp. Either we’re going nuts, or the beauty here is undeniable.
4. Fendi made us unsure at first of what woman Lagerfeld had in mind, because many of the looks seemed so avant garde, ultra-sporty and seriously confident. But then those bright blue eyes glowed in this home-run look, and we got it. The woman who wears these alarmingly beautiful leather pants and white top knows that confidence is crucial, and needs no explanation. Can we be her?
5. Christopher Kane’s sheer separates, feminine ice cream shoppe colours and unexpected tough-girl pairings were a highlight of London for us, and we already showed you this look as one of our very favourites. Something about the lemon-creme colour combo and pretty jewels reminds us of a pretty wrapped box with a cupcake inside. We’re suckers for saccharine, and this head-to-toe look has the lightness we desire for summer dressing.