It’s time to get layered. Since September tends to equal warm days and cooler nights, the trick to being temp-appropriate without sacrificing style is the big L — layering. The Olsen twins may have given layering a bad name (one we call hobo, not boho, chic) but we’re prepared to rid layering of that stigma with these must-follow fall tips.
1. Do layer on top, keeping it simple on the bottom. Don’t mistakenly think tights under shorts or jeans under a skirt makes you the queen of layering. Layer tanks, shirts, button-ups, sweaters, knits, leather jackets and coats while keeping pants slim or skinny for a balance of proportions.
2. Do layer items that are fitted, topping a loose boyfriend tee with a structure blazer that shows your body, or going with a fitted top under a loose knit. Don’t choose baggy items, or you’ll just look sloppy!
3. Do mix up your textures. We love the look of mixed mediums- so pair a faded denim button-up with a cute cropped leather jacket and a big, woolly knit scarf. Don’t stick with one fabric- like a knit sweater and knit scarf together.
4. Do mix prints smartly. A brocade cropped jacket over a lacy blouse can be cute and on-trend, but add floral skinnies into the mix and you’ve got a full fledged Don’t.
5. Mixed Media is key: Incorporating garments with different fabrics brings an element of texture to your outfit.