When it comes to beauty, nobody’s perfect! Real Style has compiled a list of common cosmetic catatrophies made by possibly even the most seasoned experts, with some simple solutions. Whether your secret is an excessively hands-on approach to brushing hair, or a passive attempt at removing eye makeup, there is always room for improvement.
1) Popping Pimples: It’s a common habit of teens, but many grown women use this infamous and timeless technique of clearing up the complexion before a special occasion or event. However, popping blemishes is a strategy which dermatologists disapprove of- and one which will leave your skin looking worse in the long term as opposed to better. Squeezing pimples actually encourages the bacteria to head deeper into your pores, and can even lead to infections.
Related Link: Our Favourite Zit Zappers
2) Sleeping with Makeup On: At the end of a long day, it may be a guilty pleasure to collapse into bed, eyeliner and shadow intact. While you may tell yourself that one night of sleeping with makeup on won’t have any long term effects, it’s amazing how quickly this can become a habit. Eye infections can stem from leftover mascara and liner, and foundation or concealer which is left behind overnight can lead to dry, flaking, and irritated skin. To maintain your skin’s natural moisture and health, always use a cleanser or facial scrub before bed (such as St Ives Apricot Scrub).
3) No Moisturizer or Sunscreen: While it may seem obvious to wear sunscreen daily in the summer, our skin is delicate and needs protection from UV rays throughout the year. Moisturizer is also necessary and perfect for usage before bed, after using a great facial product.
4) Not Eating the Right Foods: A diet which is high in sodium, sugar, and unenriched white flour is a diet which isn’t optimal in terms of skin care. To keep your skin looking great, be sure to include natural yogurt, fresh fruit, plenty of water, and whole grains in your meals.
5) Overwashing or Styling Hair: Daily usage of shampoo, conditioner, and styling products is a terrible thing for your hair to have to endure! Also, be sure to air dry after washing hair whenever possible, and to minimize heat styling as well as blow drying to a couple of times a week at the most.
Related Link: How To Make Your Hair Grow Faster
6) Expired Lotions and Potions: It may be time to replace your favourite face cream if you’ve had it for a year or more. While moisturizers and other lotions may not always come with printed expiry dates, it is best to replace them regularly. After about a year, heat and sunlight could leave your lotion runny, along with a difference in fragrance and reduced effectiveness.
Related Link: When Should You Throw Out Your Makeup?
7) Sharing Makeup: Women applying eyeshadow and powder together in groups are a common sight anywhere in the world, but there’s no place in the beauty world for sharing cosmetics. With the dangers of bacteria now doubled and easily transmitted via a gloss or mascara wand, infections are a scary possibility. Next time you get ready with a friend before a girls’ night out, resist the temptation to use her new lipstick… suggest a shopping trip together to your local Sephora for the same shade for you.
Dirty Makeup Brushes: Once again, brushes which haven’t been cleaned are a breeding ground for bacteria. Experts recommend washing brushes at least once a month with warm water, and either a mild shampoo or hand soap.
Related Link: How To Clean Your Makeup Brushes
9) Overplucked Eyebrows: Brows which have been plucked too thin can make an otherwise lovely face look aged, unnatural, and harsh. It’s best to visit a professional if you’re unsure of how to shape your brows, for arches which will definitely triumph. This is a common beauty mistake which can be fixed by allowing them to grow back first for a more natural look.
10) Aggressive Hair Brushing: Beauty experts encourage staying well-groomed, neat, and polished- but if you’re brushing or combing excessively, expect to see more than a hair out of place! Addiction to a hairbrush can lead to an increase in thinning strands, shedding, and hair loss.
Photo Courtesy og: iStockphoto
Tags: 10 Bad Beauty Habits You Need To Break, Bad Beauty Habits, bad habits, bad makeup habits, expired makeup, Makeup Expiration Dates, overplucking, pop pimples, share makeup, sharing makeup, throw out makeup, when does makeup expire, when should i throw out my makeup