5 Ways To Combat Dry Winter Skin
1. Exfoliate and moisturize daily. It may seem obvious, but exfoliating and moisturizing skin daily will drastically improve both skin look and feel. Exfoliating helps remove dry, flaky skin, prepping your skin for moisturizer. WebMD recommends using an “ointment” moisturizer that’s oil-based, rather than water-based, as the oil will create a protective layer on the skin that retains more moisture than a cream or lotion. But choose your oils with care because not all oils are appropriate for the face. Instead, look for “nonclogging” oils, like avocado oil, mineral oil, primrose oil, or almond oil.
2. Invest in a Humidifier. During the winter months, buildings are well heated, but the air is notoriously dry. Using a humidifier (for many, bedroom humidifiers are most easily used) will get more moisture in the air, helping improve both skin and breathing.
3. Avoid Hot Baths & Showers. Hot baths and showers can strip skin of much-needed oils, leaving it dryer and in some cases, itchier. Stick to lukewarm water if you can.
4. Stay Hydrated. It may seem obvious, but staying hydrated assists in maintaining the look and feel of skin. Be sure to drink enough beverages (water, tea, etc) and eat healthy foods with a high-water content like oranges, carrots, strawberries and celery.
5. Use Face Masks. Always a popular skin care treatment, face masks can offer a variety of benefits including moisturizing, soothing and toning of the skin. Face masks are also incredibly trendy now, with jelly face masks a great option for 2018.
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the hottest fashion, beauty and celebrity updates from the week's top stories, enter exclusive subscriber giveaways and be the first to receive the full digital version of REAL STYLE magazine.